Oh, the Places You'll Go: Hamilton Island

During my semester break, I've been at Hamilton Island up at the Whitsunday Islands, enjoying the view of the ocean, kayaking, paddle boarding, reading and driving around on golf carts. It's been pretty awesome. 

I also took lots of pictures, so in the interest of keeping the loading time of this page less than a millions years, you can find the rest of my story after the jump. 

When we first arrived, we checked out our hotel then headed to the main street for supper. Main street consisted of a few restaurants and clothing stores along the wharf. There were lots of (very, very expensive and huge) boats moored at the wharf which we were constantly admiring. 



There were benches and tables near the water, and cockatoos and seagulls gathered to beg for food. A cockatoo landed on the fence next to our table and steadily - and not at all discretely - made his way closer to my plate of food. He was not at all afraid of people, and I almost touched him in my efforts to send him on his way. He didn't even flinch. 



I spent a large amount of my time on our deck, reading. We had the most amazing view, and it was so relaxing to watch the water shimmering in the sunlight, or the boats speeding past. I found one of the most relaxing things in the world was journalling, listening to Mozart and enjoying the view. 


My dad and I went for a walk along the beach one day, and the sand part of the beach was beautiful, but there was quite a bit of rocks near the ocean, especially at low tide. At high tide it was fine, and we went swimming/paddle boarding/kayaking later. 




We found that one of the best parts of Hamilton Island were the sunsets. They were amazing for 90% of the time that we were there. I'll just let the pictures talk for themselves. (It's worth noting that the only editing I did was putting the watermark in. The pictures came out a little bit more vibrant than it actually was, but that was the camera's fault.)










Around the island were many other spectacular birds that were all too willing to let me photograph them. 


Rainbow lorikeet

Another lovely cockatoo

Dad and I did a lot of hiking (I found the moral of the story is to bring running shoes, and to not assume that Birkenstocks were made for hiking) when we were there and we had the privilege of seeing many incredible views, like the one below. I could have sat and watched the ocean shimmer and sway for hours. 

Our holiday was mostly a relaxing one, so I got to do a lot of reading and movie watching. The whole island had a very laid-back atmosphere, but it was also fun to dress up a little and go for supper at one of the amazing restaurants there. It also gave me a chance to get a little more creative than usual with my photography and to discover my love of silhouettes. 



Thank you to my lovely sister who involuntarily
volunteered to let me take pictures of her. 

And I just can't wait to go back. 

Comments

  1. Looks beautiful! Some stunning pictures--sure you don't have a future in photography?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It really was incredibly beautiful. I think it would be amazing to be a photographer for National Geographic, but that's every other photographer's dream so there might just be a little competition. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Wow, the island looks very picturesque! It seems like it must have been filled with relaxing evenings and a lot of fun during the day. The sunsets especially stand out to me; those look like they would have filled the sky in such a beautiful way! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was just gorgeous. We'd sit on the balcony for hours and watch the sun go down. It wasn't something that you could get bored of. If you ever get the chance to go, it's totally worth it. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts