I watched High School Musical for the first time ever and survived

Status update: It got so cold (we're talking 20-15C in the evening) this week that I was able to wear sweatpants and my sweatshirt. Man, I love Queensland winters. I was in Heaven until I realized that it'd been so long since I've worn these clothes that they've collected dust, something I'm sadly allergic to. That's right, I was allergic to my own clothes. Welcome to my life.

Anyways, when I was younger, I noticed what was popular and decided to not participate. (Yes, I was that kid. I would like to formally apologise to all my friends right now.) This included High School Musical. I managed to miss that particular phase somehow, so I've never actually seen it until recently. 

That is, until it was on TV the other night. 


Source

Seven thoughts on High School Musical 

1. It was absolutely hilarious. The entire movie was full of things that would just never, never, never, EVER happen in real life, and seeing the characters accept it as real ensured that I was laughing the entire time. The first karaoke scene. The lunchroom dancing scene. (When everyone in your lunchroom is singing and dancing in sync, you don't look mildly concerned, you run!) The fact that the science kids were doing both ninth grade and first year of university chemistry at the same time. Let's not even mention them hacking into the school electronic system. And why were 90% of the teachers (I'm looking at you, drama teacher!) jerks for no reason?

2. The balcony scene. This deserved a point all on its own. So Troy showed up to Gabriella's house one night after they fought, and she didn't want to see him. He then decided to go around the house, climb the balcony and sing to her. I get the Romeo and Juliet romantic stuff, but seriously. First of all, trespassing. Second of all, creepy. When a guy has pretty much climbed into your room it's not a good sign. Third of all, can we all appreciate the fact that his mom probably drove him there?


HAHAHAHAHA
Source

3. The music. I will admit that the songs and choreography were done very well, and everyone could sing and dance. *claps for people more talented than myself* (I look like a deranged flamingo when I dance, and sound like a dying cockroach when I attempt to sing.) But I was a bit disappointed that the whole movie was about the auditions, and we didn't see the musical. 

4. The guy with the frizzy hair (Chad?) had amazing hair and should be congratulated. The awesomeness of his hair blew me away. Also, Sharpay was my favourite character. She was so completely ridiculous, so over the top, so annoying and stereotypical that I couldn't help but absolutely adore her. (And I love Phineas and Ferb, so I kept hearing Candance the entire movie. It was great.) 

5. The diversity actually was pretty great. Sure, there was only one person who was overweight and everyone looked like they came from a high socio-economic background but hey! Lots of diversity in a time when diversity wasn't being pushed so much. 


Source

6. I had the songs stuck in my head the entire night. Still not sure if I'm angry or not. 

7. I was slightly upset because High School Musical was the modern G-rated Romeo and Juliet (sort of) so I was waiting for the mutual suicide and destruction of everything everyone had worked for. It didn't come. There was just lots of dancing and everyone getting over their differences. (I suppose someone thought it would be appropriate to cut out the murder and suicide for the kids movie for some reason. (Seriously though, they had the party at the beginning, the balcony scene, the opposing "families", the star-crossed lovers, would it have been that hard to add the double suicide in too?)) 

So there you have it! High School Musical was hilarious and cute and totally unrealistic, but it made me laugh so I'm pretty satisfied. 

Did you want High School Musical when you were a kid? 

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness!!!! I've loved High School Musical for years. And yes, a lot of it is cheesy and unrealistic, but I love the songs and I ship the characters pretty hard (possibly a result of being only 9 or 10 when I first saw it, but whatever) <3 So yeah. HSM is one of my favorites, and I'm glad you didn't hate it. :)

    Thanks for commenting on my blog! :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs were pretty well put together, which I was really surprised about. And the choreography was A+. Just... the unrealism made sure I couldn't take it seriously :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh... nostalgia. yeah when you look back the people seem so fake! I forgot the balcony scene :/ The songs were awesome though! WILDCATS!!!

    And thanks for noticing Chad's hair! (How could you not tho) It is flippin' glorious and it inspires me to wear an afro. I should this summer. I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs were awesome!!! And the fakeness of it just made me laugh, so I didn't mind too much.

      CHAD'S HAIR. It is glorious. We should have a holiday just for celebrating Chad's hair.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen it, but my friends and I were talking about it just yesterday. When I was a kid I was very disdainful, but now, I, uh, really want to watch it ... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't see it when I was a kid. AND YES. WATCH IT!!! It made my day, I just couldn't stop laughing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts